...I can do the roll-over...



I been here at the WBooth now over 3 months. Almost everyone works or is looking...everyone here is just like me.....working...trying to move forward...

There's an Artist here. He makes paintings in an Asian style and themes. He sells. He told me he'd be okay once he had some teeth and a Driver's license. As you can see, none of us are so unique.

1 year ago at the Blaine Shelter...a Rolls Royce of shelters.....(you get sheets, and cooking and refrigeration of your food....) But I couldn't sleep there. I couldn't get to sleep, in a dormitory, full of guys snoring and farting. When I could get to sleep I would wake up in the middle of the night and realize that I was at a shelter and then be up the rest of the night trying to study my way out of homelessness  by learning Python or the Word-press back-end.

I met Rick at Blaine Shelter. Rick a man in his sixties who'd spent the better part of his life prison....looked around the dormitory one day and confessed to me that he liked it. Clean, ordered, living. He had no complaints about the lack of privacy or personal space, This was a guy who had done Life at San Quentin. For him the shelter was like a playground.

Now I can roll-over. The roll-over is resignation, it is acceptance, it's like saying "I'm homeless, I'm sleepy, I'm goin back to bed". Wherever "bed" is, a doorway, an alley, a shelter. Now I like the shelter. Now I, even will catch the bus here from Misty's just to get watery kool aide? I don't even remember what it's like to have an apartment.....

Time is running out. I only have 1 more month here....I must find a place soon or win this Freemont Bridge musician residency....rehearse the ultimate blues band....& make history...

Comments

Popular Posts