shelter hours & social control...

 

 
I'm going to address the topic of "shelter hours in the context of social control." This blog is linked to my Nextdoor account. Nextdoor is like a neighborhood facebook. Neighbors have made comments on there in response to post I have made here and on the blog. The word "homeless" has been applied to particular groups of problematic individuals engaged in illegal activity. As a reluctant member of this social caste I have been posting stories from my homeless experience.

Why? as an historical record and as a way to monetize my homeless experience through my music and poetry. As a champion of both Open Source and Blockchain technology I believe in 100% transparency.  No comments under my control will ever be deleted.     

Someone asked where I "hang out". While I do see homeless people claiming particular pieces of neighborhood real estate as theirs....I have no such claims. To "hang out" one would need "free time". Most of my time is dedicated towards solving my homelessness.

Shelter hours range around from 6pm - 6am. To come to the Blaine Shelter where I live to come in after 9pm you need to bring a note from your employer. So in my case that means if I want to work a 6pm - 12:30am Amazon warehouse shift I need to ask my 25 year old Amazon manager for a note to give to my 23 year old shelter worker to verify that I was at work (and not stealing your packages or BMW's). I'm a 57 year old man that has worked and lived his whole life in Seattle, and may have taught you in kindergarten because I was an instructional assistant with the Seattle School District for over 15 years!

This is about social control. What you are saying is that everyone not generating income during the hours of 6pm - 6am has a curfew. These people need to be working or in the shelter.

There is an exception: I can live in a tent. I can not work. I can be a drug addict. I can be a criminal. I can steal your packages.

Comments

Popular Posts