I have housing......this blog is over...Wow...........it was a journey....

This is my new apartment building. It is called Clement Place. It is DESC housing with DESC people, which I must be myself after 3 years at DESC. We all loaded up a DESC van with my now limited belongings, and me and my housing case manager, the housing case manager's supervisor, and my mental health case manager drove from the shelter to the apartment building all together. These staff memebers were all proud of what we accomplished together. They were very happy for me too! I am very happy. Now I can get some rest. You can never relax in a shelter because space is so limited that it affects your thinking. Security wise you are always thinking this: "My phone, my wallet, my dope!"

This is DESC supportive housing. That means lotsa rules and supervision because they need to check on people that have issues to make sure they don't get outta control. So I live with a lot of mentally ill people. But instead of being in the next bunk in a dorm they are in they next apartment, which doesn't affect me in the least.

I think I will walk around naked for a day and after that I'm gonna watch movies and lay in the bed and eat bbq for a week......

thanks to everyone who helped along the way...and a special thanks to all my friends at APCC! I would have never made it without you!

Now it need not have taken 2.5 years but I refused to live in a room with a shared bathroom and a shared kitchen. Why? Is the shelter better than that? No. So Why?

Because, in my opinion the program at the William Booth Center, and the one at the Millionare Club that moves you into a room with a shared bathroom and charges you rent, are sorta taking advantage of the system. Once they move you in they get to check a funding box indicating that they moved someone into "permenant housing", which is a kinda sorta true but not really.

To be fair, some people need that sturcture to survive. But others don't. The other's that don't are being manipulated and poverty pimped, because had I moved to a room with a shared bathroom and no kitchen I would have been removed from the Coordinated Entry 4 All (CEA) housing list! That means I would have been ineligible for the apartment I just moved into. So that's why I never setteled for a room. A room a shelter a dormitory....are just different levels of not enough privacy. Am I arrogant. No..just real.

I look forward to spending time creating music that I can use to promote social justice, (like houinsg for all) and world peace.

Comments

Popular Posts