a dissapointment...

They accepted my membership application but I didn't make the team. They told me although people like me would fit, the other applicant was a better fit. I really wanted to live there I'm very disappointed so I haven't been posting for a while. Here's what's happening: I left the Blaine Shelter for good. That program is set up to perpetuate itself, which is ok, but they should say that. I'm gonna try my luck with a faith based program. The Union Gospel Mission (UGM) is the last stop on the block, it's the end of the line, it's the filthiest, the most unsanitary, but they are the most fair. Whatever you tell them about your work, drug habits, or life condition, they just believe you, until you show them otherwise. The Blaine Shelter operates on the basis that everyone is a liar. You actually hafta prove that you are homeless, that you are working, with literal documentation from your job on company letterhead. So every week, if you worked at Ezell's Fried Chicken from 4pm - midnight, your store manager would print that schedule on company letterhead so that you could submit it to the shelter workers for admittance. They won't take you on your word, you need a  note from your "Master".

So I'm going for 2 programs. One is at DESC connections, you sign up at 8am for a bed that night and you stay at DESC on the 2nd floor. These are definitely not working people. Most of these folks look like druggies and the disabled homeless. The other program  run outta the UGM is called the "Link" program. The Link program at UGM is currently undergoing a transition. Soon Link program participants will be housed at the UGM shelter on 2nd where presently they house members of their drug aversion program. Soon the drug program guys will move to a facility in Tukwila and free up those beds for the Link program. When...mmmmmmmmmmmm.....not sure of the exact date.....but soon ??? This Link program is for working people like me, without a drug problem, that are seeking or already have employment...

Until this unfolds I've been staying with Misty (Andrea), at the YWCA, but her apartment has lotsa rules. She can only have guest for 10 consecutive days in a row. If I continue to stay here longer than 10 consecutive days then that could jeopardize her housing situation. As we try to help each other the system prevents us from helping one another....

At this point. I'm waiting for November. As of November once I've been homeless for a whole year, I become eligible for housing that presently I don't have access to. The hard part is maintaining my job, my person, my sanity and my dignity until then...

Comments

Popular Posts